Thursday, October 8, 2009

Herta Müller, the dispossessed, 2009 Nobel Laureate in Literature

I don't know her, I have never heard of her, all because of my general ignorance. I have not think much about the Nobel literature prize because they often tainted by petty liberal politics.

But when I started looking into the news, I am mildly impressed this year because Miss Müller was awarded for her writings about her oppression and persecutions by the communist and "dispossessed" from her native land. Her profile in Wikipedia indicated that: "In 1976, Müller began working as a translator for an engineering company, but was dismissed in 1979 for her refusal to cooperate with the Securitate, the Communist regime's secret police." And the news article in Epoch Times describes her this way: "Her sensitive and insightful works reflect life under the rule of Ceausescu, who was overthrown and executed in 1989. She left Romania with her husband Richard Wagner in 1987 and now lives and works in Berlin."

My thumbs are up to Miss Müller and to the Nobel prize committee this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment