Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pater Noster

I am a catholic convert that took place around the beginning of the 1950's when I was in High School. The Pope at the time was Pius XII, I always have a special affection for him. I am happy to have found this video of Pope Pius XII reciting the Lord's Prayer in Latin:



Now here's the current Pope Benedict XVI during Mass:



I don't read Latin, just learned the pronunciation enough to serve the Mass. In the old Latin Mass, the Pater Noster was read or sing by the priest. Somehow I don't think I have really tried, but I found that I have learned mainly from Father Kung to sing it ever since. Father Kung passed away in 2002 at the age of 91. I saw him for the last time in 2001. It just occurred to me that I can sing Pater Noster most of my life, that was learned from listening to Father Kung's Mass celebration, but I have never told him about it. Hearing Pope Benedict XVI sing Pater Noster is certainly more than a return to the memory lane for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment